Physical Education (PE), Sport and Fitness Development 2013-2016
We are delighted to share with you our overview for the development of Physical Education, Sport and Fitness in our school.
Following the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Government aimed to secure a significant and lasting legacy; developing an enjoyment of sport and physical activity, and promoting a healthy lifestyle in children from an early age, were identified as vital aspects. To support this, the Prime Minister provided significant additional funding for primary schools.
We have since received £8,875 per year as our allocated grant, ring-fenced for PE, sport and fitness. We have chosen to invest this sum in securing a PE expert ‘lead teacher’ for one day per week, in partnership with two other schools.
A unique partnership between St Mary’s, St Peter’s and St Simon’s Catholic Primary Schools was launched in September 2013, based on our joint commitment to raising pupil achievement in, and enjoyment of, PE and Sport. Building on the existing good practice in our schools, our children now benefit from:
- The expertise of a PE specialist on our staff team, with a proven record of success in this field: Mr D Emsley
- The development of an improved PE curriculum, reinvigorating children’s experiences
- Opportunities to join with our sister schools (and cluster schools) to experience inter-school training, competitions and tournaments
- The commitment of our staff teams to explore how Sport and PE can further enhance the wider aspects of school life
- The development of professional opportunities for teachers, who can learn alongside Mr Emsley during lessons and carry out periods of co-teaching, thus ensuring that the improvements are sustainable
Click here to see a report on Impact Form for PE and Sport – March 2017